Sunday 20 May 2012

Royal Opera House Challenge

Our college was entered into the ROH challenge, so we had to look at 'La Boheme' and create designs based on our own interpretation - be it past, present, or future. My first themes were 70s/glam rock because there's a lot of scope for make-up etc. I then looked at post-apocalyptic themes (think 'The Tribe') and kind of merged them both together to come up with this! I chose to design for Mimi quite a bold character. 'Rent' is a good production to watch as it's a lot easier to understand than La Boheme. With Opera it can often take a bit longer to understand the story as it's going along. 'Rent' is based in the 90s and the songs are extremely catchy.
Above: The wig I styled. Below: Before and after pictures. My friend volunteered to be my model and she has a great face to work on - especially cause she has big eyes and prominent cheekbones. Also think she suits black hair!




















I didn't win, but my work was looked at by ROH staff who regularly design for productions, and it was also displayed in a mini exhibition. It was nice to see what kind of ideas other people came up with. One person from our class got a mention for her steam punk themed set design which was really cool. We also got to watch a matinee performance of La Boheme which was nice because I haven't really been to many operas. Sitting in the ROH itself is a great experience though, the building's beautiful and when we were watching La Boheme they left the curtain up when doing a set change - you don't realise how small the set is compared to the stage area and how many others they can fit backstage, it's massive!

No comments:

Post a Comment